MONROVIA, Liberia – August 22, 2026 – Former Vice President Jewel Howard-Taylor has strongly rejected drug trafficking and related charges brought against her by the Liberian government, describing the case as baseless, politically motivated, and an abuse of state power.
In a statement issued Saturday, the Office of the Former Vice President said Howard-Taylor “categorically rejects and denies” all charges read against her by the Minister of Justice and insists she had no involvement in any narcotics trafficking operation or criminal network.
The statement comes days after Howard-Taylor was prevented from leaving Roberts International Airport on August 19 while reportedly traveling to Accra, Ghana, to deliver a keynote address.
According to her office, she had received no prior notice that she was under investigation and had not been summoned for questioning before she was stopped from traveling.
Her office said authorities later sought to link her to individuals allegedly under investigation for transnational criminal activity based on official contacts and engagements she had while serving as Vice President.
“Contacts and engagements carried out in the course of executing her official duties are not evidence of participation in anyone’s alleged crimes,” the statement said.
The former Vice President’s office maintained that she did not participate in, facilitate, finance, conceal, or knowingly associate herself with any drug-trafficking operation.
Office Questions Her Treatment
The statement also criticized the manner in which Howard-Taylor was taken to police headquarters.
Her office said she had already expressed willingness at the airport to voluntarily report to the Liberia National Police with her lawyers.
However, while reportedly traveling to meet her legal team, her vehicle was intercepted along the Congo Town Back Road and she was escorted to police headquarters, where she was formally charged in the presence of her attorneys.
Her office described the treatment as inappropriate for a former Vice President who had already expressed her willingness to cooperate with investigators.
Alleges Possible Fabrication of Evidence
The statement also made a serious allegation that elements within the government may be planning to create or manipulate audio and video recordings using artificial intelligence in an effort to fabricate evidence against Howard-Taylor.
No evidence supporting that claim was presented in the statement, and the allegation has not been independently verified.
Howard-Taylor’s office said any allegedly manufactured recordings would be subjected to independent forensic examination.
Calls Case a Political Witch-Hunt
The former Vice President accused the government of using legitimate law-enforcement concerns as a political weapon.
Her office said the timing and circumstances surrounding the case have raised questions about whether the investigation is a genuine pursuit of justice or an attempt to discredit and silence her.
“She considers it a politically motivated witch-hunt and an abuse of state power,” the statement said.
Despite those accusations, Howard-Taylor said she intends to contest the charges through the legal process.
The statement said she would confront every allegation, defend her record and integrity, and cooperate with a fair and transparent investigation based on evidence.
Calls for Due Process
Howard-Taylor’s office called on the government to respect the rule of law and allow the courts to determine the facts.
It also urged Liberians to remain calm while insisting that citizens have a right to demand transparency and justice.
“Let the Government present its evidence. Let the courts do their work. Let the truth be tested in the open,” the statement said.
The former Vice President maintained that she has nothing to hide and will not evade the law, but said she would resist any attempt to damage her reputation for political purposes.
“She will stand. She will fight. And she will defend the truth,” the statement concluded.
The allegations of political persecution, evidence fabrication, and abuse of state power are claims made by Howard-Taylor’s office and have not been independently established. The government’s evidence supporting the charges had not been publicly detailed in the statement provided.
